Commercial Property Accountant
Commercial Property Accountant
Argus Properties is Kelowna’s fastest growing privately owned and operated real estate investment and development companies. With over 50 years in business, we have a proven track record of success, and the expertise to provide exceptional service in the areas of leasing, project management, property management, and construction.
Headquartered in Kelowna, British Columbia, we believe in responsible and sustainable development in our communities. Our extensive portfolio of properties includes innovative commercial buildings, hotels, modern residential developments, and versatile business parks.
We take pride in our dedication to excellence, our reputation for quality, and our promise to find or develop premium properties for our clients emphasizing value, quality, sustainability, and efficiency. At the heart of our business is innovation, and the hardworking dedication of our employees, our main building blocks.
Reporting to the Controller of Operations, the Commercial Property Accountant will be responsible for a portfolio with a mix of commercial, industrial, and residential properties. We are looking for timely, complete, and accurate financial reporting of a property portfolio and other corporate entities. Specific responsibilities will include the preparation of annual CAM, recoveries, account reconciliations, budgeting, and forecasting.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Work with accounting team members to manage completion of accounting cycle checklist and deadlines
- Provide property & tenant related accounting support to the Commercial Property Management team
- Provide vacation coverage for the Commercial Accountants or Controllers
- Review and approve A/P batches as they relate to materiality
- Prepare, review, and approve GST returns
- Review and approve online bill payments
- Review and approve Commercial Accountants accounting system entries
- Set up new buildings, units and GLA changes to commercial lease tenancies in the accounting system
- Review and approve setup of lease tenancies in the accounting system and packages for release
- Prepare and oversee training and review of accounts receivable statements of accounts, aged reporting and rent pulls
- Record WIP closing/transfer entries and setup amortizations as needed
- Prepare the monthly portfolio reporting as it relates to properties, leasing, capital expenditures and construction accounting
- Contribute to the consolidated monthly/quarterly/annual executive portfolio summary
- Contribute to the planning and completion of annual operating cost recoveries
- Contribute to and prepare the planning and completion of annual forecasting and budgets including leasing, capital & operations
- Contribute to process improvements and implementation projects as required
- Assist with various ad hoc accounting tasks as requested by senior management
- Foster a strong working relationship with all team members, to ensure the operational and corporate goals of the organization are being met to the best of the abilities of the accounting group
- Various other duties as assigned
- Accounting diploma is a requirement.
- 3 years’ experience in accounting.
- CPA designation or current enrollment in the CPA program would be an asset.
- Experience with Yardi Voyager would be an asset.
- Strong work ethic; able to work productively, with minimum supervision or collaboratively in a team.