Senior Hospitality Accountant
Built on a foundation of integrity, innovation, excellence and an enduring commitment to community, Argus Properties is one of British Columbia's great companies. Based in Kelowna, with over 50 years in the industry, Argus owns, manages and develops a multi-disciplined real estate portfolio, including industrial, retail, office, residential and hotel properties.
We believe in responsible and sustainable development in our communities. Our dedication is to excellence and quality, and our promise to develop premium properties for our clients emphasizing value, quality and efficiency is our focus. Our extensive portfolio of properties include; innovative commercial buildings, hotels, modern residential developments and versatile business parks.
At the heart of our business is innovation, and the hardworking dedication of our employees, our main building blocks.
The Senior Hospitality Accountant is responsible for daily accounting transactions, implementation and oversight of all activities relating to the financial aspects of the 5 properties under Argus Hospitality Group in compliance with local tax laws and SOPs, working under the direction of the Hospitality Controller at Argus Properties head office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that the financial statements for Hilton Home2 Suites are accurate and statements are delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner;
- Works directly with the team from Hilton Home2 Suites, reviews and approves A/P batches, reviews and verifies account coding for hotel inventory. Follow-up with any missing invoices, late payments or other issues that may arise;
- Verify that invoices for automatic withdrawals are received and entered into the system;
- Reconciles balance sheets and ensure account balances are supported by appropriate documentation;
- Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current; monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued;
- Ensures permits, licenses, and insurance are all current;
- Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes and is adept at learning new software and training others on applications;
- Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards;
- Advises the Hospitality Controller on existing and evolving operating/financial issues;
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors;
- Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources;
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish their work;
- Supports a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability and manage business risks;
- Responsible for any assigned projects;
- All other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration;
- CPA designation (or equivalent) or working towards;
- Prior hotel accounting experience preferred;
- Familiarity with Payworks payroll and PVNG system is an asset;
- Familiar with property management systems;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, and Word);
- Strong work ethic; able to work productively, equally with minimum supervision, and cooperatively and collaboratively in a team.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada without restriction.