Director of Construction
Argus Properties is Kelowna’s fastest growing privately owned and operated real estate investment and development companies. With over 50 years in business, we have a proven track record of success, and the expertise to provide exceptional service in the areas of leasing, project management, property management, and construction.
Headquartered in Kelowna, British Columbia, we believe in responsible and sustainable development in our communities. Our extensive portfolio of properties includes innovative commercial buildings, hotels, modern residential developments, and versatile business parks.
We take pride in our dedication to excellence, our reputation for quality, and our promise to find or develop premium properties for our clients emphasizing value, quality, sustainability, and efficiency. At the heart of our business is innovation, and the hardworking dedication of our employees, our main building blocks.
Qualified candidates will have demonstrated the ability to oversee real estate development projects from conception to completion; lead a multi-disciplinary team, with a focus on project management, construction management, and development, including an in-house construction crew.
- Manages and oversees all real estate construction & development-related activities;
- Direct reports include project managers and construction crews;
- Coordinate and supervise a wide variety of projects, including office, industrial, retail, residential and hospitality developments;
- Provides input to strategic decisions regarding development and building renovations;
- Ensures that department & project milestones/goals are met and adhere to approved budgets;
- Manages and oversees all aspects of a project to ensure it is completed on-time and within budget;
- Has overall responsibility for managing scope, cost, schedule, internal staffing, third-party consultants and general contractors, and contractual deliverables;
- Communicates directly with contractors/consultants concerning project cost, staffing and scheduling;
- Collaborates with architects, engineers, and other construction specialists;
- Proven ability to confer with city inspectors to ensure that all regulations are met, including the successful application of development & building permits;
- Prepares project status reports and works to ensure plans adhere to contract specifications;
- Prepares cost estimates, from class D, during project identification to Class A, during the pre-tender stage;
- Resolves issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments.
- Manages and directs the research and development programs to meet organizational needs and to capitalize on potential new projects;
- Complies with legal requirements, building and safety codes, and other regulations;
- Develops negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new venture with company strategies and operations; examining risks and potentials; estimating partners' needs and goals;
- Support the building of relationships within the development community in order to secure early notice of investment and development opportunities;
- Manages staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs;
- Work with team members, assist in the management of existing projects at various stages of development;
- Works with other departments to ensure alignment of company goals, as set by senior management.
- Passion for real estate development with a proactive and independent nature including strong negotiation, planning, and problem-solving skills;
- Analytical capabilities and business acumen in leading and planning for large-scale, multi-step projects;
- A demonstrated thoroughness and attention to detail as well as the ability to consider the bigger picture in alignment with corporate strategic objectives;
- The ability to prioritize tasks and work on multiple assignments in a team environment;
- A motivator and collaborative team player;
- Time-Management and adherence to deadlines;
- Direct experience in industrial tilt-up construction is considered an asset.
- 15+ years experience in construction and real estate development, design and construction related projects;
- 10+ years of managerial experience;
- Experience in the construction of industrial, office, retail, hotel and multi-family residential projects is essential;
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral; communicating with employees and third-party service providers, writing proposals, procuring materials and dealing with clients;
- Knowledge of construction methodologies, able to read blueprints and understand other technical aspects of construction.